return to home page

Intimacy Expert  


Intimacy Expert Q&A's
Name: Adelina


I have been having trouble having sex with my husband for a couple of years now. I don't know what to do about it. I started going through menopause and didn't know what the problem was until 3 months ago. My doctor had been running tests on me because of all the problems I have been having, and I have low thyroid. Also, my question is -- is there anything I can take to help me want to have sex? I don't even want him to touch me. What do I do?

Dear Adelina,
When you say you've been having "trouble with sex for a couple of years" and don't want your husband to "touch" you it leaves me wondering about the nature of your overall relationship and whether you've discussed this with your husband? When is the last time you "wanted" to have sex? Do you have a history of depression? What medications are you taking? Allow your MD to run the tests he/she recommends. Low thyroid can certainly contribute to feelings of decreased sexual desire. Be direct with your physician about your sexual concerns and ask your husband to accompany you to his/her office. If you don't feel your doctor is equipped to address your sexual problems, find someone who is. Call a local university or contact the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists in Richmond, VA at (804)644-3288.

Dr. Sandy Scantling
Author of Extraordinary Sex Now.
Visit Dr. Sandy's Web site at:

Information provided by Dr. Scantling is general in nature and should not be construed as a substitute for a visit to and examination by your own personal physician.
Please read our disclaimer.

Return to Intimacy Expert's Archive